Microsoft is pushing cross platform tools more than ever. Azure Data Studio is one such product @Microsoft is trying to push as a replacement to the traditional SQL server management studio. Despite its name, it doesn't have anything to do with Microsoft Azure ™.
Key benefits of ADS:
1. Impressive code suggestions (intellisense) and improves productivity for most database scripting/development work.
2. supports DevOps (specifically Git) for database
3. cross platform - works on Mac
4. Multi database - supports several databases
5. Extensible - extend with extensions marketplace
6. Installs user mode - no elevated permissions required. Easy to deploy for enterprises.